One of the most exciting things happening this year is Auckland Writers Festival from16 to 21 May. To show our support, Books on the Bus NZ is doing a themed book drop. We kicked it off yesterday, after coming back from the Easter holiday and will continue dropping books until next week.
Curious about the titles we’re working with? Here’s the complete list
- The Mothers by Brit Bennett – 1 copy dropped in Smales Farm Busway Station
- Nights in the Gardens of Spain by Witi Ihimaera – dropped on the 881 to the city
- The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman – On the Green City Bus
- All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven – Sky Tower Bus Stop
- All Visitors Ashore by C.K. Stead – Victoria Park Bus Station
We also did some drops as the New Zealand Book Fairy (follow us there for non-transport station book drops!):
- Holding up the Universe by Jennifer Niven – Dropped at Elliott Stables
- All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven – Dropped at Griffiths Gardens
We still have the following titles coming out this week:
- Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera
- Clarice Bean: Don’t Look Now by Lauren Child
- Clarice Bean Spells Trouble by Lauren Child
- Even Dogs in the Wild by Ian Rankin
- Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay
- Difficult Women by Roxanne Gay
- The Hidden Room by Stella Duffy
- Gemina by Amie Kaufman
- Shifting Colours by Fiona Sussman
- The Last Time We Spoke by Fiona Sussman
Because there’s a special Harry Potter event, we will also do the following J.K. Rowling titles:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
We received a great deal of support from many New Zealand publishers who gave us multiple copies of some books, so thanks to Hachette NZ, Penguin Random House and Allen & Unwin, we will be doing some book giveaways for Holding Up the Universe, The World is Flat, The Mothers, Gemina and All the Bright Places. This is to give those who don’t take public transport and those who live outside Auckland a chance to get some of these wonderful titles. Please continue checking our blog and our social media channels for your chance to win.
It is also with great joy that we announce that this themed book drop will come with several golden tickets. We’re planting 4 Golden Tickets — 2 of these will be for 1 general event tickets and 2 will be for double passes to general events. We will also be doing some promos to win the passes through our social media platforms.
Here’s your chance to score 1 general event pass right now. Just comment on this blog post telling us what event you plan to join for this year’s AWF. We will pick the winner next week!
(Please note that prize for this promo is for the pass only. While it is open to anyone in New Zealand, Books on the Bus NZ will not be responsible for other associated costs with attending the festival)
Hope everyone enjoys the wonderful gems you find in buses, trains, ferries, bus stops and train stations!